Hiking Outdoors Recreation and Sports United States North America Regional.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term bushwalking is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- Adventure travel
- Works American Trails www
Works to enhance and protect America's network of interconnected trails. Trails. Includes action alerts, newsletters, and a calendar of events. American Trails.
- Information Backpack Camping in Connecticut www
Information on applying for permits to camp along any of the several hiking trails throughout the state. Backpack Camping in Connecticut.
- Connecticut Appalachian Mountain Club www
Connecticut chapter of the AMC. Mountain Club. Offers information on activities and membership. Appalachian Mountain Club.
- Guide Peakbagging in New England www
Guide to the AMC 4000 footer peaks in New Hampshire, New England, Maine and Vermont. Lists of peaks, general information, route descriptions including distance and elevation gain, articles on training, FAQs and forum. Peakbagging in New England.
- Includes Views from the Top www
Includes trail condition reports, from the Top, weather forecast links, discussion forums, photo galleries, and recommended reading. Views from the Top.
- Non-profit Trailwrights www
Non-profit group promotes environmentally sound trail maintenance and hiking practices through hands-on educational workshops. Trailwrights. Event calendar, newsletter, membership information, and related links. Trailwrights.
- History The Cohos Trail www
History and information on one of the longest hiking trails in the state. Cohos Trail. Photos, maps, trail features, Trail Association membership information, day hike suggestions, work project schedule, related links, and contacts. The Cohos Trail.
- Information Gadabout Volkssport Club www
Information and schedule of club sponsored non-competitive walks through scenic or historic areas, Volkssport Club, over a marked, 10 KM route. Gadabout Volkssport Club.
- Informational Hike Utah www
Informational guide to hiking, Utah, backpacking and camping in the state. Hike Utah.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors