The Agriculture sector comprises industries engaged in growing crops and harvesting timber. The companies in this sector are often described as farms, greenhouses, nurseries, or orchards. This sector includes supporting industries such as equipment, supplies, consulting and administrative services, etc. Business which grow and export agricultural products are included here as well. Agriculture Business and Economy Central America Regional.
Agriculture is the cultivation and breeding of animals, plants and fungi for food, fiber, biofuel, medicinal plants and other products used to sustain and enhance human life. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Agriculture is the cultivation and breeding of animals and plants to provide food, fiber, medicinal plants and other products to sustain and enhance life. Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that enabled people to live in cities. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science. The history of agriculture dates back thousands of years; people gathered wild grains at least 105,000 years ago, and began to plant them around 11,500 years ago, before they became domesticated. Pigs, sheep, and cattle were domesticated over 10,000 years ago. Crops originate from at least 11 regions of the world. Industrial agriculture based on large-scale monoculture has in the past century become the dominant agricultural method.
- Agriculture Category
- Aeroponics - Aeroponics is the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment without the use of soil or an aggregate medium. The word "aeroponic" is derived from the Greek meanings of aer and ponos. Aeroponic culture differs from both conventional hydroponics, aquaponics, and in-vitro growing.
- Agricultural engineering - Agricultural engineering is the engineering discipline that studies agricultural production and processing.
- Agricultural robot - An agricultural robot is a robot deployed for agricultural purposes. The main area of application of robots in agriculture today is at the harvesting stage.
- Agroecology - Agroecology is the study of ecological processes applied to agricultural production systems. The prefix ' refers to agriculture. Bringing ecological principles to bear in agroecosystems can suggest novel management approaches that would not otherwise be considered.
- Building-integrated agriculture - Building-integrated agriculture is the practice of locating high performance hydroponic greenhouse farming systems on and in mixed-use buildings to exploit synergies between the built environment and agriculture.
- Contract farming - Contract farming involves agricultural production being carried out on the basis of an agreement between the buyer and farm producers. Sometimes it involves the buyer specifying the quality required and the price, with the farmer agreeing to deliver at a future date.
- Food industry
- Assists Fairtrade Labelling Organization (FLO) www
Assists local agricultural producers in directly accessing world markets. Labelling Organization (FLO). Provides contact information and overview of member producers in the region. [English/Spanish] Fairtrade Labelling Organization (FLO).
- Private Agro-Industrial Development Program www
Private foundation promoting agricultural and agro-industrial business development in the northern zone of the country, Development Program, through training, and access to credit and to markets. Describes funding, target population, and services. Agro-Industrial Development Program.
- Coffee El Borbollon www
Coffee farm and mill. Borbollon. Gives company history, and describes growing and processing. El Borbollon.
- Grower Los Nogales Ecological Mill & Estate Farms www
Grower and roaster describes their products and cultivation methods, Nogales Ecological Mill & Estate Farms, with background information on practices designed to lessen negative environmental impacts. Los Nogales Ecological Mill & Estate Farms.
- Description Inversiones Agrocomerciales de Guatemala www
Description and photos of two estates growing coffee and ornamental plants for export. Inversiones Agrocomerciales de Guatemala.
- Coffee El Cafetalito www
Coffee roaster and exporter. Cafetalito. Describes flavors and origins of products, as well as giving locations for kiosks in Guatemala City. [English/Spanish] El Cafetalito.
- Engineering Asesores en Construcción y Extensión Agricola (ACEA) www
Engineering design for commercial greenhouses. Construcción y Extensión Agricola (ACEA). In English and Spanish. Asesores en Construcción y Extensión Agricola (ACEA).
- Exporter Granos La Macarena SA de CV www
Exporter of chickpeas gives company history, Macarena SA de CV, processing and quality control details. [English/Spanish] Granos La Macarena SA de CV.
- Grower La Torcaza Estate Coffee www
Grower and exporter provides photos, Torcaza Estate Coffee, descriptions of the growing and processing cycle, and contact information for their roasters in the US and Europe. La Torcaza Estate Coffee.
- Describes International Fund for Agricultural Development - Panama Projects www
Describes ongoing as well as approved projects, Fund for Agricultural Development - Panama Projects, with goals, total budget, and other participating organizations. Also lists completed projects, with budget and brief description of goals. International Fund for Agricultural Development - Panama Projects.
- Human Preseleccion Empresarial www
Human resources consultants. Empresarial. Includes a company profile and regional offices, jobs database, client services, resume submittal, and contact information. [English/Spanish] Preseleccion Empresarial.
- Provider Colite Outdoor www
Provider of billboards and outdoor signs with offices throughout the region. Outdoor. Includes company history and map of placement locations. [English/Spanish] Colite Outdoor.
- Alexa: Agriculture Business and Economy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Agriculture Business and Economy
- DMOZ: Agriculture Business and Economy
dmoz.org Directory: Agriculture Business and Economy