Navassa Island is an uninhabited island and serves as a National Wildlife Refuge administered by the Fish and Wildlife Service, United States Department of the Interior. Navassa Island Caribbean Regional.
Navassa Island ( / n ə ˈ v æ s ə / ; French: l'île de la Navasse ; also La Navasse ) is a small, uninhabited island in the Caribbean Sea. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Navassa Island is a small, uninhabited island in the Caribbean Sea. The island is subject to an ongoing territorial dispute between Haiti and the United States, which administers it through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The U.S. has claimed the island since 1857, based on the Guano Islands Act of 1856. Haiti's claim over Navassa goes back to the Treaty of Ryswick in 1697 that established French possessions in Hispaniola, that were transferred from Spain by the treaty. As well as the western half of the main island and certain other specifically named nearby islands, Haiti's also claimed "other adjacent islands". Navassa was not one of the named islands. Since its 1874 Constitution, and after the establishment of the 1857 U.S. claim, Haiti has explicitly named "la Navase" as one of the territories it claims.
- Navassa Island Category
- Greater Antilles
- United States Minor Outlying Islands
- Haiti?United States relations
- International territorial disputes of the United States
- Islands of Haiti
- Disputed islands
- Former populated places in the Caribbean
- Uninhabited Caribbean islands of the United States
- Islands claimed under the Guano Islands Act
- Features CIA - The World Factbook: Navassa Island www
Features map and brief descriptions of the geography, The World Factbook: Navassa Island, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues. CIA - The World Factbook: Navassa Island.
- A Haiti: Navassa Island www
A number of files dealing with Haiti's claim to the island. Haiti: Navassa Island.
- Hyperlinked Wikipedia - Navassa Island www
Hyperlinked encyclopedia article covers the country's history, Navassa Island, government and politics, geography, economy, demographics, language and culture. Wikipedia - Navassa Island.
- Several Navassa Island: A Photographic Tour www
Several thematic photographic tours compiled from photographs taken by geologists surveying the island. Navassa Island: A Photographic Tour.
- Unofficial Navassa Island (U.S. Minor Outlying Islands) www
Unofficial flag of Navassa designed by Skip Wheeler. Island (U.S. Minor Outlying Islands). Navassa Island (U.S. Minor Outlying Islands).
- Article Poop Dreams www
Article from Baltimore City Paper about the 19th-century guano mining and recent attempts to claim ownership of the island under the Guano Act. Poop Dreams.
- Country, University of Texas Libraries - Navassa Island Maps www
Country, Texas Libraries - Navassa Island Maps, city and thematic maps from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, along with links to maps on other web sites. University of Texas Libraries - Navassa Island Maps.
- Census Census Bureau: Puerto Rico and the Island Areas www
Census data and projections, Bureau: Puerto Rico and the Island Areas, information about history and geography, and other resources for Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, and Palau. Census Bureau: Puerto Rico and the Island Areas.
- Coordinates Department of the Interior - Office of Insular Affairs www
Coordinates federal policy in the territories of American Samoa, the Interior - Office of Insular Affairs, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and oversight of federal programs and funds in the freely associated states of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau. Department of the Interior - Office of Insular Affairs.
- Alexa: Navassa Island Caribbean
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Navassa Island Caribbean
- DMOZ: Navassa Island Caribbean
dmoz.org Directory: Navassa Island Caribbean